Friday Flyer – 09 February 2023
- Message from the Principal
- School attendance
- Staff news
- Dates for your Diary
Message from the Principal
We’ve had another busy half term. Staff have been working hard to ensure that children receive engaging lessons that promote effective learning as well as continuing to support children to grow as respectful, ambitious, happy and safe individuals. As part of our ongoing programme of improvement we are currently developing the PSED curriculum (Personal, Social and Emotional Development).
Y4 have started their swimming lessons at Concord Sports Centre. This is the first year we’ve been able to send children to swimming lessons since COVID. It’s great to have this starting up again.
Thanks to the Five Rivers Trust for covering the cost of all the visits and visitors this year. It has really helped us to give the children real-life experiences alongside the school curriculum and deepen children’s understanding of their lessons. This half term visitors and visits have been:
- Y6 went to Crucial Crew for real life lessons in how to keep yourself and others safe in the big wide world;
- Y1&3 had in-school animal handling sessions with Sam’s Safari;
- Y2 went to The Deep to experience amazing marine life and gain a greater insight into the aquatic world;
- Y5 went to Bradford Cartwright Museum for a series of workshops on Early Islamic Art;
- The choir, having practiced during their lunchtime all year, went to the Arena to take part in Young Voices – the largest children’s choir concert in the world;
- And FS2 took a trip to Eureka – an interactive educational museum for children, with a focus on learning through play.
We have some new staff joining us this term: Mrs Walcott and Miss Majid are new teaching assistants and will be working in Key Stage 1 and the Foundation Stage; Mr Cowley is our new caretaker and has already made an impact by building a fabulous fire-pit in the Forest Schools area.
We hope you have a lovely half term break and look forward to what the next half term will bring.
Dates for your Diary
Monday 13 Feb – Friday 17 Feb – half term holiday
Monday 20 Feb – First Day back at school
Tuesday 21 Feb – Tuesday Boosters & Clubs start
Wednesday 22 Feb – Wednesday Boosters & Clubs start
Thursday 23 Feb – Y6 Visit to Eyam village
Tuesday 28 Feb – Y4 visit to Jorvik Viking Museum
Wednesday 08 March – Local Governing Body Meeting
Thursday 09 March – Y5 visit to National Space Centre
Friday 17 March – Y1 visit to Abbey House Museum
Tuesday 21 March – Last session for Spring Term Tuesday Boosters & Clubs
Wednesday 22 March – Last session for Spring Term Wednesday Boosters & Clubs
Thursday 23 March – Y2 visit to the Emergency Services Museum
Monday 27 March – Y3 visitor from the Confucious Institute in school (TBC)
Tuesday 28 March – No Tuesday Boosters & Clubs
Wednesday 29 March – No Wednesday Boosters & Clubs
Friday 31 March – school is closed for staff training
Monday 03 Apr to Friday 14 April – Easter Holidays
Monday 17 April – First day back at school